*This post contains affiliate links which means that if you make a purchase via one of the links, I will receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for reading and supporting my blog! Please see my disclaimer page for more information*
Did you know that you can actually get paid to be a friend?
And no, this does not include signing up for sleazy flirting sites that you would feel uncomfortable telling your family about. It also does not involve any type of dating apps or illegal activities.
I am simply referring to real websites that can help you earn $50 or more per hour by becoming an online friend.
In a world of quickly advancing technology and social media, it has never been easier to make money online these days. And for those of us who are on our phones and laptops all day anyway, we might as well get paid for it.
So if getting paid for online companionship sounds interesting to you, let’s get started.
How to Get Paid to Be a Friend Online
What is a Virtual Friend?
A virtual friend is exactly how it sounds. They are people who are willing to pay money for online companionship without ever meeting or talking to someone in person.
Now you may be thinking, “Why would anyone in their right mind pay money to make virtual friends online?”
Some people may struggle to make legitimate friendships in person but still seek social interaction.
Others may be traveling to new places and are willing to pay someone to show them around or take them out to eat at a local restaurant.
Whatever the reason may be, there are certainly people out there looking for online companionship.
How Much Can You Get Paid to be a Friend Online?
Just like with other side hustles and online businesses, how much you can earn depends solely on how much you are willing to put into it.
Most online friend websites allow you to choose your own rate. It is common for most online friends to charge anywhere from $20-$50+ per hour.
Some websites like RentAFriend.com claim that you can earn $2,000 or more per week doing this full time. They also state that if you work 5 days per week and charge $50 per hour, you could earn up to $96,000 per year.
There are also freelance sites that let you set your own rates and offer unlimited earnings.
Along with choosing your own pay rate, this is also a great side hustle that allows you to choose your own hours.
So if you are looking to reach some of your financial goals, try signing up to get paid to be a friend online.
How do I get started?
Most of the websites listed in this post operate the same way.
Here is how to get started:
Create a profile
The first step is to sign up and create a profile on the website of your choice. This typically entails filling out some personal information and answering a few questions.
Include honest details in your profile
Make sure to be honest when filling out your profile questionnaire. This will help with finding clients that would pair with you best.
Try to also fill out as many details as possible. Make note of as many skills and preferences you have such as speaking another language or willingness to meet up in person.
Include your payment information
In order to get paid to be a friend, you will need to fill out how you prefer to get paid. Some websites offer direct deposit into your bank account while others may only offer PayPal payments.
Take a short test
Sometimes, websites require you to take a short test before posting your gigs. These tests are not about your knowledge, rather what type of personality you have. This will ultimately help them pair you with online friends that are similar to you.
Post your gig and wait for clients
Once your profile is set up, you can post your virtual friendship gig and then wait for clients to reach out to you. They will send you a message and you can choose to accept or decline it.
Based on your profile, you will be able to get paid to talk to them in a chatroom, text throughout the day, talk on the phone for a certain amount of time, etc.
5 Ways to Get Paid to be a Virtual Friend
There are a few different ways to get paid to be a friend. You can either start your own freelance business or you can use well-established companies to help you find clients.
Let’s take a look at some of the best options.
RentAFriend.com is one of the most popular online friend websites as they have the most amount of users in this space.
This site mostly focuses on in-person friendships and meetups, however, you have the option to become a virtual friend only.
On RentAFriend.com, you can see that people are looking for friends to join activities such as:
- Family functions
- Friends for seniors
- Workout partner
- Different outings and events
- To learn a new skill
- Prom dates
- And so many more
How much you can you earn on RentAFriend.com?
As stated above, you are can set your own rate anywhere between $20-$50+ per hour.
- They offer one of the largest databases of clientele.
- You can set your own rates and make your own hours.
- You will not have to pay commissions on your earnings.
- Only paid members of the website can contact you for a meetup.
- The signup process is simple.
- You are not able to run background checks on users. It is important to follow safety tips to avoid potential scams (more on this later).
Rent a Local Friend
Rent a Local Friend is another established website that helps you get paid to be a friend.
This website allows local friends in different cities to connect with travelers who are looking for someone to show them around the town and learn the culture and history of their cities.
The site also lets you sign up to be a virtual friend to teach people about your city virtually. If your city is popular enough, you can also sign up to be a local travel agent.
How much can you earn on Rent a Local Friend?
You can typically earn between $50-$200 per day depending on how many hours you can put in.
- There are fewer scammers than some other sites.
- Less competition because of the annual fee.
- The website charges you a $100 annual membership fee.
Rent a Cyber Friend
Rent a Cyber Friend is similar to the options listed above, however, the friendships on this site are completely virtual.
Not only are you paid to talk to friends virtually, but you can also offer other services as well such as sharing a skill or hobby, becoming a mentor, language translation, and more.
How much can you get paid on Rent a Cyber Friend?
You can set your own rates between $15-$50 per hour and can cash out your balance once your account reaches $75.
- You can view other users first without needing to sign up.
- This site focuses on virtual friendships over in-person meetups.
- The Basic Membership for the website is completely free and you have the option to upgrade your membership depending on your goals.
- The website makes it easy to sign up and use.
- You can’t post a gig unless you are registered for the site.
Fiverr is a large marketplace for freelancers to offer services such as writing, graphic design, proofreading, etc.
As a freelancer, you are free to create a gig for almost anything on this platform. Once you sign up and create an account, you are free to create a gig that allows you to get paid to be a friend.
Fiverr is one of the largest freelancing marketplaces available, which makes this a very safe and secure option to create your gigs.
How much can you earn on Fiverr?
You are free to set your own rates on Fiverr, but in order to find more clients, it is best to set your rates between $5-$25 per hour.
- You have the freedom to create your own gig how you want it and can charge your own rates.
- The platform offers verified payment options which can help with avoiding scammers.
- The platform is free and easy to use.
- Clients are easy to find based on the number of users on the site.
- Fiverr takes a small commission from their users.
Just like Fiverr, Freelancer is another well-established freelancing marketplace where users can create gigs for any type of skill or talent.
This platform also allows you to create gigs to get paid to be an online companion after you sign up and fill out your portfolio.
How much can you earn on Freelancer?
Like Fiverr, you are able to set your own rates, however, to find more clients, it’s best to set rates between $5-$25 per hour.
- The platform provides safe and secure payment options to avoid scammers and to get paid promptly.
- Their website is easy to use and makes it simple to create a profile.
- You can choose to create gigs for any type of job, including becoming a virtual friend.
- Freelancer takes a small commission from their users.
How to Stay Safe and Avoid Scams
Sometimes the internet can be a scary place if you aren’t careful.
This type of job is known for attracting scammers and highly questionable behavior.
Now, this should not deter you from trying to make money in this field, it just means you should take extra precaution when searching for this type of work.
Here is a list of precautions to take when looking to get paid to be a friend online:
- Check to make sure the website is secure before providing any personal information. (You can tell a website is secure by checking to see if there is a small lock to the left of the URL in the search bar.)
- If a website asks you for money upfront, do not sign up, and do not use their platform.
- Do not provide any personal information such as a social security number or ID number.
- If a meetup (either online or in-person) makes you feel uncomfortable, do not feel like you need to continue with the friendship. Your safety comes first!
- If anyone approaches you for anything more than friendship, report and block them immediately.
- Read reviews on a website before signing up to know what to expect.
In summary, use your best judgment and trust your gut. If anything makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t feel like you need to continue.
The Bottom Line
It might seem strange to get paid to be a friend to strangers online. But the truth is, it can be a great source of income.
In a way, you might believe that you just get paid to talk to lonely people, however, you may actually be helping someone in need.
Social anxiety can sometimes hinder those who are looking for companionship and need a friend.
So if you are a social butterfly and want to get paid for it, sign up to become a virtual friend today.
Hey there! My name is Tegan and I am the author and creator of The Blissful Budget.
My goal with this blog is to help you save more money, earn more money, and start to live the life you want by obtaining financial freedom.